In 2013 Sisters Mailyn Batocabe and Remedios Natonton departed the Philippines to establish a new mission in Timor-Leste. This expansion in Asia brings, not only, our Carmelite Sprituality to Timor-Leste but has created a renewed hope for the Timorese and the Sisters of Mount Carmel’s future.
The sisters minister is two areas of Timor-Leste. The Formation House is located in Hera approximately 25 minutes from Dili, the capital of Timor-Leste. Mother St. Paul Bazire Community and Escola Infantil Do Monte Carmelo (Preschool) is located in Zumalai.
Each action we take, each decision we make, creates our future. This new mission is an assurance for our future.
The Timorese have suffered greatly through many years of civil strife to maintain their independence. Statistics show:
- Timor-Leste is the poorest country in Asia with life expectancy at 57 years
- One in seven children die before the age of 5
- 80% of the people are unemployed
- Only 15% of people have access to clean water
- About 46% of people have never had any schooling
- 60% of women and 44% of men are illiterate